Even if you haven't found such a connection, if you have Tierney (Ó Tighearnaigh) ancestry, chances are we are related in some way - although it might a very-very-distant-cousin kind of relationship (there were three main septs of the name in ancient Ireland, according to Irish Names and Surnames by Patrick Woulfe).
If you have a Tierney connection, or are interested in all things Tierney, you may find the following resources helpful.
Want to get a nice overview of the history of the Tierney surname, learn more about the family's coat of arms, learn about distinguished Tierney family members and more? Check out the official website of the Tierney Clans Society. Their stated goal is to "safeguard the heritage of Tierney descendants worldwide through research and education". Now that's a goal that I would like to support! The society is open to all that can show that they have Tierney ancestry. The good information on the website, however, is available to all visitors - Tierney descendant and member of the society or just plain interested websurfer.
While you are visiting the Tierney Clans Society website, you may want to stop by the Tierney Clans Society Y-DNA project info webpage. As I discussed in my posts Mr. Tierney, I presume? and Where Science Meets Family History, DNA testing is the newest source for information about family history. Not only is it new, but it is unique in the information that it can provide for those researching their heritage and the history of a particular surname or family line. The link to the actual project for the Tierney surname is located at the Family Tree DNA Tierney Clans Society Y-DNA project webpage. If you'd like more information about genetic genealogy in general, including the most up to date news about the subject, check out Blaine Bettinger's informative blog The Genetic Genealogist.
Wanting to get in touch with other Tierney family descendants and researchers? The following message boards might be a good place to start:
- Rootsweb's Tierney surname and family mailing list
- Genealogy.com's Tierney Family Genealogy Forum
- Ancestry.com's Tierney message board
Want to do some Tierney family research online?
Here are a few sites that you might find helpful:
- The Irish Times' Tierney surname search includes a breakdown of Tierney households as listed in Griffith's Valuation done during the years 1848-64; it also provides a link to the births distribution of Tierneys in Ireland during 1890 and a link to a list of family history publications focusing on the Tierney surname (although at this time only one is listed, it may be the one you are looking for!)
- Linkpendium's Tierney Family: Surname Genealogy, Family History, Family Tree, Family Crest offers a nice assortment of links to all-types-of-things-Tierney
- FamilyHistory.com's Tierney webpage is another good place to visit, as is...
- Cousin Connect's Tierney Genealogy queries webpage
In the meantime, I hope that this post has given you inspiration and practical suggestions on how to begin to search for your Tierney family tree and also to help the Tierney Clans Society to complete their goal: to safeguard the heritage of the Tierney family.
I'm doing my part. How about you?